May 1997 - present, Fab 7 Designs, Palo Alto, CA
Web Programmer/Design Lead
Use graphic design sensibility coupled with leading-edge electronic publishing toolkits and web languages to build information architecture for accessibility and performance. Apply excellent project management skills to milestone-based, goal-oriented deliverables for multiple clients simultaneously. For more information on selected projects, see Websites portfolio here.
Have created dozens of websites incorporating clear, intuitive design and navigation, database integration and e-commerce. Develop extensive web applications for collecting and managing information via interactive forms. Utilize database technology to facilitate search/retrieval and dynamic display of data. Script interactive browser events for dynamic menus and page layout, form validation, animation, etc. Create original editorial content, images and icons. Maintain enterprise-wide network and servers for e-mail and ftp. Promote open source solutions.
TECHNICAL SKILL PROFILE:
- PHP, CSS and MySQL database integration (6+ years)
- Apache web server configuration and maintenance (8+ years)
- Perl scripting, Web API and services integration (6+ years)
- Photoshop, Illustrator and page layout (15+ years)
- UNIX/Linux command line (15+ years)
- Macintosh and PC operating systems (15+ years)
- System administration and networking (15+ years)
- JQuery, AJAX and mobile development (1+ years)
May 1990 - May 1997, Silicon Graphics, Inc., Mountain View, CA
Design Technology Integrator, August 1994 - May 1997
Developed and executed strategies to integrate Macintosh-based print design group with UNIX-based clients (in-house). Created and maintained website to market design group and disseminate design tools and information. Utilized web technology to bridge cross-platform incompatibilities, including Portable Document Format to deliver comp artwork electronically. Developed Perl scripts to integrate Macintosh-based job tracking data with website. Established website and infrastructure to facilitate communications between advertising agency in Seattle and company headquarters in Mountain View. Evaluated and implemented new technologies for design and communications. Developed trade-show presentation to showcase Silicon Graphics design technology for Seybold audience.
Creative Direction and Design, March 1993 - August 1994
Electronic design and production of company-wide marketing communications materials, including product brochures, specification sheets, promotions and direct mail. Developed technical and creative messages for customers and internal audiences. Coordinated design and content of materials. Specified and scheduled print jobs.
Technical Editor, May 1990 - March 1993
Designed and produced bi-monthly technical newsletter to company's supported customers. Edited technical articles submitted by engineers. Coordinated newsletter production schedule. Developed marketing materials and sales tools for support organization.
- Creative problem-solver
- Highly organized and motivated
- Strong inter-personal and communication skills
- Experience with UNIX/Linux, Macintosh and PC operating systems
- Strong technical background, including system administration and networking
- Knowledge of design tools for web and print, including photo editing, illustration, page layout and 3D modeling
- Video editing and motion graphics
Palo Alto Little League Board Member (Sponsors Chair, Registration 2004 - 2007); Little League Team Manager (2005, 2006)
B.A. in Professional Writing (concentrations in design and technical writing)
Carnegie-Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA. Spring 1987
A.S. in Computer Science (concentrations in programming and mathematics)
Cayuga Community College, Auburn, NY. Summa Cum Laude: Spring 1984